The journey of St Mary’s School began with nursery classes conducted on the verandah of the old chapel where the Sisters were permitted to stay by the parish priest. The parish priest Fr Lopez was the Manager of the School. On his transfer in 1958 he made over the school management to the Sisters. In the year 1959 Bishop Albert D’Souza, Auxiliary to the Bishop of Mysore, assigned a plot of land to the Ursuline Franciscan Sisters for the purpose of putting up a school building. With zero finance, the Sisters could never think of constructing a school building nor furnish it. So for some time the classes were conducted under the trees and benches were borrowed from the nearby film theatre.
In the year 1965 a school building was constructed and a few more rooms were added in the year 1974 on the land gifted by the Diocese.
Sr Gilberta was the first headmistress (1957-58). In the successive years Sr Maria Rodrigues (1958-59), Sr Angela Menezes (1959-60), Sr ReolineMuliyil (1960-62), Sr Winnifred Lobo (1962-66), Sr MarylineFernandes (1966-72), Sr Rosepha Lobo (1972-76), Sr Serena D’Souza (1976-82), Sr Irene D’Souza (1982-88), Sr Jeswina Serrao (1988-92), Sr Alice Mascarenhas (1992-96), Sr Irene Mascarenhas (1996-2009), and Sr Lilly D’Souza (2009-2011) Sr Supriya Handiavar(2011- were the headmistresses in the School. All of them were persons of courage, integrity and clarity. As each of them handed over their baton to her successor she handed over the conviction and the will to carry on as well.
Sr Lilly D’Souza is the present headmistress. A cheerful person, she believes in team spirit and ensures that everyone performs their best.8, 480 students have successfully completed their education during the past Sixty years and have built a good reputation in society. There are 289 studying in the year 2017-18.