An association known as the Company of St Ursula, pioneered by twelve young women of Our Lady of the Holy Rosary Cathedral Parish at Bolar, Mangalore in 1887 started by Fr Urbun Stein S.J a German priest , was a musterd seed when it was sown in Mangalore. The Company of St Ursula obtained the canonical status in 1934. The enhanced status accorded it a new name – Catechist Sisters of St Ursula.
New religious houses were inaugurated at Vorkady (1927), Bejai (1931) Madanthyar (1936), Fajir and Karopady (1938), Trikarpur, now in Kerala (1942), Panir (1943), Belthangady (1945), Shirtady and Jeppu (1947), Kallianpur (1950), Hunsur and Thirthahalli (1956), Suntikoppa (1957)…. In all these places, the Sisters rendered their service in the field of education, though in schools administered by respective parishes. Alongside imparting instruction in schools, the Sisters offered career guidance education to women in tailoring, needle work and machine embroidery, in Bejai, Jeppu, Hunsur, Thirthahalli and Suntikoppa.